Cleat Geeks

The Browns are Finally Done with Manziel

It finally seems as though the Cleveland Browns will move on from Johnny Manziel just two seasons after they drafted him in the first round.manziel-bar-day-off-browns

According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport the team will cut Manziel when the new league year begins March 9.

If You Are Going To Cut Him, Why Not Just Do It Now?

Per league rules, the Browns cannot cut Manziel until next week at the earliest. Rapoport reported the Browns have $20 million in cap space for 2015 which, they carried over to 2016, like all but three teams did. Because Manziel has guarantees in his contract, they need space to absorb the cap hit in 2015. Currently, they have no space, which is why they will wait for the league year to start to use some of that carried over monies to absorb the cap hit of Manziel for the 2016 season.

The Actual Statement The Browns Released

The following statement was released by Browns Executive Vice President of football operations Sashi Brown regarding Manziel’s most recent off-field incident. It is very telling.

“We’ve been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field,” Brown said. “Johnny’s continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules. We will have no further comment at this time.”

HueJacksonBrownsRapoport had also previously reported that when new head coach Hue Jackson was hired as Head Coach of the team, Jackson was not keen on having Manziel on the club, nevermind as the starting quarterback.The above statement seems to be in line with Jackson’s thinking.

The Latest Incident

Manziel is being investigated for an alleged incident with a 23-year-old female, the Fort Worth Police Department said in a statement on Saturday. The alleged incident occurred late last Friday evening at an apartment complex in Fort Worth.

According to the statement, officers responded to a report of a possible assault and made contact with the 23-year-old female, who was unrelated to the caller. The complainant stated that she was involved in a disturbance with Manziel, her ex-boyfriend, earlier in the evening in Dallas. The officers were unable to locate a crime scene within the Fort Worth jurisdiction.

johnny-manzielAfter the complainant advised the Fort Worth P.D. officers of concerns that she had regarding Manziel’s well-being, they attempted to locate him by calling his cell phone, checking locations in the area and searching the area with the assistance of an Air One Unit. Following the search, it was determined that Manziel was safe and in no danger.

The Fort Worth Police Department is still actively working with the Dallas Police Department to determine if a criminal offense occurred.

An NFL spokesman added, “We are aware and looking into it.”

A Rundown Of The Rest

This marks the latest of several incidents involving Manziel as a member of the Browns. The team, just last month, announced they had fined the second-year quarterback for missing a scheduled medical treatment on the final Sunday of the season.

Manziel was also benched before a week 12 match-up with the Ravens after a video surfaced of the quarterback partying at a club in Austin Texas. Plus,a week prior to that, Manziel was cleared of any wrongdoing in a domestic violence incident. And as if that was not enough to throw up a red flag to the Browns, during the 2015 off-season, the quarterback spent 10 weeks of the off-season in a Pennsylvania rehab facility specializing in alcohol and substance abuse.

Leave a Reply

GET YOUR  ON!

If you like this site or just simply want to school your friends because you got the information first.  

Join us on the field! Click on any of the links below.

%d bloggers like this: