Cleat Geeks

FIFA Corruption Update

The FIFA scandal continues to rumble on so here’s an update of the latest controversies to come out of footballs governing body this week.

Firstly – and rather amusingly – FIFA director of communications Walter De Gregorio was forced to resign for making a joke about the recent corruption charges on Swiss TV. wdg

A FIFA statement said that De Gregorio had decided to step down with immediate effect after this rib-tickler:

“The FIFA president, secretary general and communications director are in a car. Who is driving? The police.”

Meanwhile, a $10 million payment from the South African government to FIFA, which is at the heart of the FBI’s investigation, has been described as ‘worrisome’ by a member of South Africa’s 2010 World Cup bid team.

sexwaleTokyo Sexwale told the BBC that the payment could well have been a bribe, as the FBI suggested.

“Where are the documents, where are the invoices, where are the budgets, where are the projects on the ground?” asked Mr Sexwale.

“If they are not there, you are going to leave the FBI [US Federal Bureau of Investigation] interpretation intact,” he said.

The money ended up in accounts under the control of Jack Warner, former FIFA vice president.

Warner resigned from the organisation in 2011 amid bribery allegations and earlier this month promised to reveal all he knows about corruption within FIFA.

The 72 year-old has also vowed to fight attempts to extradite him to the United States.

Sepp Blatter’s former election advisor claims that the 79 year-old could withdraw his resignation and stay on as FIFA president.

Klaus Stoehlker told Sky News: “As long as there is not such a candidate it remains open for Sepp Blatter to run again.”

However, a FIFA spokesperson said: “Klaus Stoehlker’s mandate from the FIFA president ended on 31 May 2015. The FIFA president would like to point to his remarks from June 2.”

Also, Switzerland’s attorney general is expected to make a statement about the 2018 and 2022 World Cups this week.

The awarding of the next two tournaments are being investigated alongside the FBI’s corruption investigation.  qatar2022

According to the Daily Mail, officials from the attorney general’s office have already taken possession of computer data from FIFA as part of the investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which are being hosted by Russia and Qatar respectively.

A statement from Michael Laubers office said: “Attorney General Lauber will make a statement on the ongoing criminal proceedings in connection with the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 Football World Cups.”

Leave a Reply


If you like this site or just simply want to school your friends because you got the information first.  

Join us on the field! Click on any of the links below.

%d bloggers like this: